Monday 3 November 2008

Conquest Web Viewer 2.0

I have recently found out about something called Adobe Flex. Flex is a programming language that allows you to make Adobe Flash applications. I did some experimentation and found that you can do a couple of cool things with it like pull information in from PHP, dynamically load images and manipulate the images.

So being the experimental type I have started writing a new web viewer system that plugs into Conquest Dicom Server. The system is a small scale PACS web viewer system.

Basically how it works:
  • Flex application calls back end PHP scripts which connect to the database to show a work list.
  • The Flex application calls a PHP script which converts images to JPG files which are then loaded into the Flex application.
  • The Flex program then has some functions for basic things like brightness, contrast, flip, rotate and cine.

The system is still a work in progress as I am slowly learning the ins and outs of a new programming language and then still doing all the rest of my work which basically sees me bouncing back and forth between C#, PHP, Flex and Javascipt. Its enough to get anyones head in a spin as all these languages have slightly different syntaxes.

Anyways I expect that I should have a working prototype ready for upload onto sourceforge some time before the end of the year so keep your eyes open. I think this system is gonna be way better than my last attempt.

If anyone is interested in getting into Adobe Flex here are some links: