Friday 12 January 2007

System Features Evaluation

With all the various PACS systems out there on the market today there are a wealth of features to review when considering a new PACS system. I have however been musing on some of these features and begun to wonder if they are ever used. I can compare it to mobile phones. I know many many people who have the latest and and greatest phones and they don't have a clue how to use them. They become distracted with the marketing and end up buying a very expensive device that they have no idea how to use and probably have no use for even half of the features.

With this in mind I am making it my quest to try and evaluate all the relevant PACS systems we are currently considering and trying to determine what subset of features are actually going to be used. I am also interested to see if our Radiologists understand the relevance of some of the features in the PACS systems and try to gauge what they deem to be the bare minimum subset of tools and features required for an effective system.